Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hidden embarassment [Life's "metagames"]



For the most part, I am pretty proud of my musical diversity, I have things in my collection ranging from the 1930's group "The Ink Spots" all the way to some of today's mainstream and indie groups.

There is however, about 2% of my music collection that I am, well... ashamed of. Some of this comes from "Zune freebies", some are residual from a time when my wife and my collections were combined on a single computer (I'm not saying my wife has bad taste, but to have Brittany Spears in my collection is something I often have to explain), and some are guilty pleasures (Third Eye Blind much?). This didn't used to be a problem, as I was able to keep my collection secret from others. But since I bought my Zune and joined the "Zune Social" (which displays your favorites, most played, and recent plays), these little awkward gems occasionally come floating to the top.

The Zune software does a nice little job of taking the album art of several albums in your collection and making a mosaic of them as the background while the player is running. No matter how many times I refresh it, there is at least one of these "shame albums" hidden somewhere in the "quilt". This has led to a little game I play; I call the game: "WTF? Musical Where's Waldo". It goes like this, at any given point I will look at the player and try to find the album that I need to cover with a post-it. Here is a screen shot I took, see if you can play along (click the picture for a blown up version). Look at the album art and when you come across one that makes you say "Why the hell does he have THAT?", you've won!

4 comments:

Mrs. V!! said...

I think I see Jessica Simpson...did I win?

Tantra Flower said...

Hey. I found your blog while trying to find something to do with the stale muffins on my counter.

Given my eclectic (and likely suspect) taste, I would have no idea what one should feel ashamed of so I can't play.

I will say this: people who make fun of others for what they listen to are just trying to elevate themselves to the status of cool. I pay no attention to these insecure people. Cool is accepting and embracing your authentic self regardless of what others may or may not think. I will sing along with Neil Diamond and have a great time doing it thanks.

Anonymous said...

I win too...Jessica Simpson or another blonde that looks like her. Either way, I don't think it's acceptable music and I will openly make fun of you for it, securely.

Brandon said...

@tantra flower: thanks for your encouraging words, but I think you misunderstood my point. Had I been truly embarrassed by my music collection (or what people think of it for that matter),I would have kept it private. I just think its funny that out of nowhere my Zune card will have something random like "Ninja Rap" by Vanilla Ice on it that doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the collection.