Wednesday, January 21, 2009

But does it come in pink?



I was perusing my RSS feeds while at work (its up on the side of my screen) and came across an article from Gizmodo.com called "Win 7 Beta Tip: Gadgets Are Integrated Directly onto the Desktop, But Are Slightly Buggy". I was curious, since I've been using Windows 7 for several days now (and so far LOVE it) and have also been following gizmodo's reports as they've been putting it through its paces. I clicked on it and quickly read through the article, realizing that the tip wasn't really news to me, but the critique was helpful (I'm still a stubborn XP user and have had all of maybe an hour hands on time with Vista).

Something to note, (you'll see the pun in a second), is Gizmodo tends to be very pro-Apple, as it rightfully should be considering their target demographic (techies and graphic designers). So it interested me when I came across the part of the article that said

[The] Notes gadget is not installed by default—I was surprised to find it missing, but instead I found a program called Sticky Notes that is apparently intended to replace it. Accessible from the Start Menu under Accessories, the Sticky Notes will actually resize to its contents unlike the Vista gadget. It’s an overall improvement, but the notes lack the ability to customize your font and the ability to change the opacity. But it does bring Windows 7 up to OS X's Stickies in desktop-level sticky note functionality. (emphasis added by me)
It was pretty funny to see that particular sentence regarding Windows 7. Here is a new product that is basically a "do or die" situation for the Windows operating system (another Vista would likely kill them), and here a respectable tech blog (Gizmodo, not this one, obviously) is debating how well it emulates "technology" from 1977.

Microsoft must be doing something right if one of the major factors in buying Mac or Windows in the future boils down to "Sticky preference"

BTW: Regarding the post title: yes, you can change the sticky note color to blue, green, pink, purple, white, or yellow.

0 comments: