Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tech Tuesday: First Down Yellow Line

If you know me, you know I'm not really a "sports fan". I enjoy occasionally watching sports, but I don't usually change my plans in order to watch a game. That said, I have to say that some of the graphics (yellow first down line, the blue puck tracker in hockey, etc) that the broadcasting stations add to help the fans watch the game are really quite nice and I think it makes watching sports more accessible to people who might not normally care. Its a lot easier to say "they have to cross that yellow line" instead of "well when that team gets possession of the ball, they have four tries to go a total of ten yards, each time they are tackled that is one try and they have to make it ..." blah blah blah.

What I didn't realize was how much technology actually goes into making those things happen. This story came up on my RSS reader from gizmodo.com, have a watch, it's pretty neat.

0 comments: