Thursday, December 11, 2008

ACCUweather huh?

The weather in Fresno is a bit screwy, especially in the wintertime. Some days its really cold (relatively) and others you have to layer your clothes so you can peel them off during the day (usually ending in a T-shirt). My phone has a handy little feature that allows me to quickly check the current conditions, and daily highs and lows with data provided by accuweather. So I make it a habit to check the weather on my phone as I'm getting dressed in the morning so I can choose the correct ensemble. This morning I picked up my phone and hit the weather button and was greeted with this:



What the hell? Its snowing right now?!?!? Um... as much as I like the novelty of it snowing in Fresno (it only happens like once every 10 years), I've never heard of it snowing when its 38 degrees outside. I'm no meterologist, but I'm pretty sure you need freezing conditions (<32 degrees) in order to have snow. I shrugged it off and went about my business. Later as I stepped outside, this is what I saw:



Typical Fresno winter fog. This is what I get for trusting a weather service based 3,000 miles away in State College, PA. Should have watched the local weather forecast. (Anyone catch the irony here? Look at who provides their data.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your delimna. ;) But actually it can snow when it is above 32* F. It happens when the air up above is still 32* or less, but the surface air is warmer (say, 38*?). Usually it ends up melting before it hits, none would stick, and it ends up looking more like rain or fog anyway. It happens here a few times a year.

Brandon said...

@Diana interesting. I figured as much, I just thought that weather report would give the surface conditions since I don't know anyone who lives in the sky. :)