Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Be careful what you click it might just bite you in the brain (or wallet)!!!


So Google released their latest product the new Google Chrome web browser. If you read my previous post, I am a pretty big Firefox fan, and have been since version 1.0. But I am also a big Google fan and regularly use several of their applications (Gmail, Blogger, Earth, Desktop, etc...). I did a little research and found out that Chrome is in fact an open source browser (like Firefox) and is built on an engine similar to the Gecko engine (like Firefox), so I decided to give it a whirl. While doing digging into the features that Chrome offers I came across a few blog posts mentioning Chrome's EULA (End User License Agreement, basically the "by using this product you agree to this... contract). I took a look at it and found this disturbing clause:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free?!?!? I don't think I'm clever enough to come up with something that Google could make any money off of, but if some how in a spark of creativity I did, I'd expect a check heading my way if the big G were to market it!

Now Chrome is only in Beta (version 0.2.149.27 as of this posting), so it is possible that this may change by the time the final version is out. But in the meantime I think I'll stick with Firefox.

ETA: Google has now revised section 11 of its Chrome EULA to the following:

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

Apparently this was a "copy and paste" error and that the previous version was supposed to removed. I'll give it another shot now, but still be careful, I found the same verbiage in the Picasa 3 beta EULA.

If you want to download Google Chrome, you can do it here.

0 comments: