Thursday, September 25, 2008

Smileys: a leap forward for passive-aggression



I just had a sort of epiphany... By simply adding a colon and sideways parenthesis (singular for parentheses, file that one under who cares), you can say some truly hurtful things and totally get away with it.

Examples:
  • You are the stupidest person I know :)
  • I'm going to kill you!!! :)
  • Wow! You're 45, don't have a job, and still live with your parents?! That's awesome! :)
I think subconsciously I inherited the use of smiley faces from my mom. She used to leave chore "todo" lists on the fridge and always put a smiley face at the end. Something along the lines of:

"Please do the following:
-Clean the kitchen
-Clean your bathroom
-Dust & Vacuum
Thanks, Mom [smiley]"

But I always interpreted it as this: "I know its summer and you would probably rather be doing something else but instead, do these chores or you'll be sorry! Don't like it? Awwwww, Mom. [middle finger]." (Ahhhhh... teen angst.)

For some pretty funny passive-aggressive notes (many with smileys) check out passiveaggressivenotes.com.

ETA: I just noticed the irony in putting the info about the plurality of parenthesis in parenthesis... I know, I'm lame.





1 comments:

RenderingRisch said...

Thank you for sharing such an amazing epiphany :)
Sorry, couldn't resist. seriously though, website = total awesomeness.