Monday, September 22, 2008

You know it's close to payday when...


...you have more money in your car than in your checking account and this is how you have to buy your morning coffee. :(

Just so you don't think we're irresponsible with money, let me give you a little background. I work for a small company and in order for me to get benefits (which was a requisite for me taking the job) they have me technically "employed" by one of their larger partner companies. The partner company thinks its fun to change the paydays at their whim. I believe their payday calender is based on a combination of the current humidity, the shape of the grounds on the bottom of their coffee cup, and the last "animal" they saw in the clouds, no matter what it is based on it's still a mystery to everyone else.

In all seriousness, paydays are supposed to be on the 5th and 20th. Now, every company I've ever worked for no matter how small paid you on the Friday before the payday if the actual payday fell on the weekend. The first time in the year this occurred, payday fell on a Saturday and we got paid on Friday (nice, that's how I thought it works).

Next time this happened, payday fell on a Sunday, so we got paid on the following Monday. It was explained that Saturday=Friday; Sunday=Monday, the email went on to explain that this was all spelled out in the calendar we received in the HR paperwork (which I didn't get). Well, that sucks, but oh well, at least now I know.

The next time it happened, payday fell on the Saturday of the three day Independence day weekend (the 4th was on a Friday), we got paid on Monday (WTF????).

This time payday fell on a Saturday and we get paid today. Again we got an email explaining this, and it said the following:

Hi Everyone,
Just a reminder payday is on Monday. The calendar's are not right. If payday lands on a weekend anytime payday is alway on the following Monday. If you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks
Accounts Receivable

(copied and pasted from my email (I added the bold, but left the spelling error >:) )

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Next payday is on a Sunday, so we'll see if I actually get paid. >:(

0 comments: